Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thirteen years has made a tradition
Of itchy shirts and eyes cast down
Of umbrella hair and thick underpants
Of pencil shavings and cheese-and-jam-sandwiches
Of fingers jammed in the hinges of smiling faces.

I stand in the centre of a football field
I am patted on the head
I am told to stand up straight
I am asked to catch the ball
I am hit in the face, the face.

Trumpets cry and spit at me
The cymbals rock and hiss
Creating the perfect cadence
Into sweet, sweet loneliness.

2 comments:

Questionable said...

i'll give you love... or the target lady will anyway.
there is allusion in this to miss clancy and the fridge, i know you. better then you know yourself...
xoxoxox

Life in a Glass House said...

Sort of intentional. I haven't read much Sylvia, but I love what I have...I guess I just adopt styles that I like sometimes. I write prose too, but I find poetry comes more easily.
Not as easily as it seems to come to you! You are a truly brilliant writer, I'm in awe.
And I am pretty sure I don't know you...ever thought about the percentage of people on the planet you actually know? It just crossed my mind today, then I stopped thinking because I don't like maths. Ahem, I've strayed.
Lovely to (cyber)meet you.
x